Catskill Fungi offers a 2-hour mushroom identification walk on easy, nearby trails. Learn about the historical uses, medicinal properties, current research, and present innovations of fungi. Most importantly, learn which fungi are edible or poisonous. You can find our own family farm-made health extracts at the Kingston & Pakatakan Farmers' Markets on Saturdays.
Leadership: John Michelotti is the owner of Catskill Fungi whose mission empowers people with fungi through educational outdoor classes, cultivation courses, private consultations, and health tinctures which he produces from mushrooms grown on his family farm in the Catskill Mountains. John is the President of the Mid-Hudson Mycological Association (MHMA). He served on the Mushroom Advisory Panel for Certified Naturally Grown to develop ecological standards in mushroom production. He is a licensed NYS Guide. His goal is to educate and inspire people with fungi to improve their health, environment, and communities.
Pricing and times: All walks are 10am - 12pm and are $25 per person.
- July 1st - Big Indian Park, 8280 NY-28, Big Indian, NY 12410
- July 8th - Emerson Resort & Spa, 5340 NY-28, Mt Tremper, NY 12457
- August 5th - Highmount Post Office, 8 Galli Curci Rd, Big Indian, NY 12441
- August 26th - Walk with the Catskill Forest Association, Rider Hollow Trail Head
- September 23rd - Emerson Resort & Spa, 5340 NY-28, Mt Tremper, NY 12457
- October 7th - Big Indian NY, 8280 NY-28, Big Indian, NY 12410
- October 8th - Highmount Post Office, 8 Galli Curci Rd, Big Indian, NY 12441
- October 21st - Location TBA
- Signing the liability waiver is required upon arrival.
- Dress appropriately for weather, we go out rain or shine!
- Bring water and snacks!
- Wear sturdy shoes! It is important to wear appropriate shoes/boots for the forest. We do our best to pick trails that can be accessed by people of a wide range of physical abilities.
- There are usually bathrooms or outhouses at the trailheads from which we leave, but not always.
- Baskets for collecting mushrooms and field guides for identifications are welcome. Some baskets, collecting bags, and field guides will be provided.
- Cameras are not necessary but can be fun and helpful for identifying fungi. Out of respect, I ask permission from people to include them in photos and encourage others to do the same.
- A notebook and pen is highly encouraged.
To book this Experience, please email email@example.com or call (888) 798-9093.